Tuesday 3 June 2014

THE OAKS' GRAVEYARD



The Oaks’ Graveyard.

The oaks are dead.
Straying from the road,
I stumbled on their secret graveyard,
enclosed within a stand of living trees
where their remains now rest –
eighteen in all and once of mighty size,
but now just severed and uprooted stumps,
hidden from the common sight within a roadside copse.
This stand of trees was once a greater wood,
where, no doubt, oaks grew strong and tall.
(Not far away, the last of these still lives –
its massive, hollow shell
now standing like a spectre
beside the old lane’s edge.)
I’ve passed here many times before
but never guessed that in this shady place
these precious relics,
each like a wooden Ozymandias, lay:
cut down, uprooted, left to rot,
and overshadowed by tall-growing ash and birch.
Some upright, others on their sides,
each forms its own memorial
but all without a name or date recording their demise.
And overhead, the reverend rooks
in well-worn Sunday black
preach from sky-roofed pulpits,
chanting never-ending funeral rites
or delivering grim sermons
on death’s inevitable grip,
while a woodpecker
is hammering in coffin nails.

Across the sky, a red kite haunts the fields,
uttering its strident, plaintive cries,
not mithering for the oaks  
but in mocking tones bemoaning
the death inflicted
by its own beak and claws.
 


 

4 comments:

John J said...

Lovely words and very atmospheric photographs....again!
I just read that you're a folk musician - I play melodeon and do a bit of singing (loud, finger-in-the-ear stuff).
Could you email me at: johnjocys at hotmail dot com so I can invite you to my blog, I've had to make my blog 'Private' for a while - it's been the target of a troll of late.
Cheers
John

Pete Thompson said...

Yes I am, John. I don't play as much as I used to but I'd like to join your blog. I'll email you.

Crafty Green Poet said...

very atmospheric, and although the oaks are dead, if they're left there they'll be home to lots of invertebrates....

Pete Thompson said...

That's true - plenty of life in the old trees.