Tuesday 27 November 2012

THE LOST PATH


 
THE LOST PATH
 
Today I traced a long-forgotten pathway,
Still discernible (but only just)
Between two lines of hedges
Long since grown to trees.
A portion, now, it is, for foxes
(Whose trails I failed to follow
With too-intrusive steps)
And where frightened, flustered pheasants
Find a welcome sanctuary.
Here sharp scimitars of briars and
Rotten toadstool tree-stumps bar my way
As, stumbling forward, I seem to feel
The footsteps of another time,
Of village lads and lasses
Who wandered hand-in-hand on summer evenings
And stole shy, secret kisses
Where even prattling thrushes
Would never tell.


 
 


 

3 comments:

Matthew Edwards said...

I very much like your poem (and I too have suffered from the "sharp scimitars of briars" on neglected paths!). Good pictures too, and glad to encounter another fan of Edward Thomas.

Matthew

Adrien said...

Wonderful read. Thank you .
Adrien

Pete Thompson said...

Thanks for the nice comments - I'll try to post another poem tmorrow.